The opinions expressed within posts and comments are solely those of each author, and are not necessarily those of Women Against Registry.
Women Against Registry held their First Annual NATIONAL CONFERENCE in (Maryland Heights) St Louis, Mo. on JULY 29-30, 2017
17 states were represented at the 2 day conference in 2017.
The theme: Our Families ~ Our Future ~ Our Time
Admission to this conference was FREE. There was no conference admission or registration fee.
The dates of the conference were (July 29-30)
Conference was centrally located in St. Louis, MO (Maryland Heights area)
The conference was held at a very nice St. Louis hotel.
A reduced room rate was available for those wishing to stay at the venue.
The hotel provided a shuttle from the airport
We provided a shuttle from the train station
We had some amazing dynamic speakers including, among others:
- Matt Duhamel of Metamora Films to discuss his advocacy work, his new documentary film and other Projects
- Miriam Aukerman, Michigan ACLU Attorney to update us on the decision from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and possible SCOTUS review
- Keynote Speaker
- Missouri State Representative John McCaherty
- Professor Kitty Dubin
- Attorney Janice Bellucci – “I Have a Dream” speech
- Award winning ‘Untouchable’ Documentary film
- Pastor Roger Ray – The Emerging Church – Springfield MO
- Toastmaster – Mike Woodall
There were informative breakout sessions
- Cause and Effect – Registrant Storytelling Time
- Life in Civil Commitment
- How Do I Get Through This – Grieving Families of Registrants
- L-RIDD – Legal Reform of the Intellectually & Developmentally Delayed
- Participate in A “Working Workshop”
- There was an auction of art pieces and books produced by prisoners, registrants, or family members who donated their works as their contribution to this worthy cause; a cause that is designed to help us all.
Videos of portions of the conference are being prepared for upload and will be available soon.
Especially if you attended this conference, please leave comments about the experience or anything else you would like to say.